Frequently Asked Questions
- How is the group run?
- How often do you hold walks?
- What age are members?
- Are dogs allowed on walks?
- Are children allowed on walks?
- Who organises walks and where are they held?
- Am I able to get a lift to walk?
- Where is your lift share point?
- I'm new; do I have to pay come on a walk?
- I'm new; do I have to attend a 'New Member' walk first?
- What equipment do I need?
- I have a disability, can I still attend a walk?
- I'm sold, how do I join?!
- Do you organise social events?
- What's the best way to keep up to date with "What's On"?
- Are you on Facebook?
- Anything else? Contact Us!
Shropshire Young Ramblers was formed in 2005 and is affiliated to the The Ramblers. It is run by a committee of volunteers who work together with our other members to keep the group active, and to maintain a programme of events to look forward to.
Walks are held most weekends on a Saturday or Sunday, though during the summer months we may also run walks during the week and in the evenings. We also organise weekends away throughout the year. For the latest information, please view our Calendar.
We currently have members ranging from their early 20’s right through to about 50. For those over 50, there are plenty of other Ramblers groups out there catering for different age groups, however if you still want to join us on a walk, you’re very welcome.
Guide dogs are permitted on walks, however we kindly ask that you check with the walk leader beforehand, as some routes may have challenging terrain that is unsuitable for dogs. For other dogs, it is down to walk leader discretion as to whether they are allowed, depending on the type of walk and location.
Anyone under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult/parent/guardian on all walks, due to insurance reasons. Anyone looking to bring a small child or baby with them must also seek permission from the walk leader prior to the event, as the walk may be unsuitable due to length, grading or other reasons. The walk leader has the right to turn people away who do not follow these guidelines.
All our walk leaders are volunteers and members of SYR, and are fully insured by the Ramblers. Members are encouraged to organise and lead walks, and help will be offered to those who wish to have a go for themselves. Walks are led in a range of locations, from rugged North Wales, to the rolling Shropshire Hills and offer a wide range of grading’s, from leisurely strolls to more challenging mountain hikes.
We aim to organise car shares for the majority of our walks, so reducing our Carbon footprint and allowing us to access areas with more limited parking. Information about the car share time and place is detailed on each individual walk page. If you are fortunate enough to have been given a lift, we like to suggest offering the driver some form of recompense, be that in the form of a drink or a small donation towards fuel.
Our normal meeting point is the car park opposite Little Chef on the Dobbies A5/A49 roundabout, south of Shrewsbury (postcode: SY3 0DA). Just park up and look around for a crowd of people in walking gear, it’s more than likely to be us! That said, please check the details of the individual walk before turning up, and contact the walk leader to say whether you are meeting at the car share point or at the walk start, so we can look out for you.
Definitely not! We welcome new members to attend up to three walks before joining. After the third walk, you would be requested to join SYR if you wish to continue attending walks. By joining, you will enjoy the following:
- Can attend social events and weekend away.
- Have the opportunity to lead walks yourself.
- Contribute vital funds to the Ramblers to help maintain the footpath network and support its charitable aims.
- Receive a quarterly Walk magazine full of lots of interesting articles and walk ideas.
- Receive a membership card which gives you 15% off from Cotswold Outdoors.
- And finally, be a part of a fantastic group!
Not at all! However, we would not recommend attending anything other than a leisurely walk unless you are already an experienced walker.
We find that holding specific New Member walks allows several potential new members to come along so that they don’t feel “new” on their own.
Not that there’s any need to feel “new” as we are a really friendly bunch of people who always welcome new members!
We recommend the following items of clothing:
- Comfortable walking boots (not trainers or sandals)
- Waterproof jacket (and waterproof trousers if you have them)
- Warm clothing - plenty of layers (especially in winter)
- Packed lunch, including high energy food.
- Plenty of water (a hot drink is also recommended in winter)
- Walking trousers – NOT jeans.
- Gloves, hat, scarf.
- Gaiters also useful during wet/winter months.
If in doubt, please ask before attending the walk. It is possible that you will not be allowed to participate in a walk of your equipment/clothing is unsuitable.
We aim to welcome anyone to our group. However, as we are a voluntary group, we cannot always guarantee that there will be someone able/qualified to assist you on a walk. We therefore request that you bring someone along with you who is aware of your needs to assist you, and advise the walk leader prior to the event so that they are fully aware.
If you would like to join us, you must become a member of The Ramblers, and then affiliate yourself to the Shropshire Young Ramblers (code SS07). For more details on costs and additional benefits, please visit The Ramblers web site.
Meals out, camping and canoeing are just some of the fabulous events organised by our Social Secretary. These events are open to members of the club only. If you have any suggestions for additional events, please contact our social secretary.
There are two main ways to keep up to date with events:
- Visit our calendar regularly.
- Subscribe to our mailing list. Please contact us if you would like to be included on this list.
Yes, we’re on Facebook! Facebook is another great way of finding out about forthcoming walks. If you become a member of our Facebook group you’ll receive invites to each walk. We don’t have a full calendar of walks on Facebook, however it’s a good way to check out some of our events.
Anything else you'd like to know?
If so then please feel free to ask!